Thursday, January 15, 2009

Georgio de Chirico in Paris

I can't seem to get off the art merry-go-round.  Everywhere I look lately, I am finding such intriguing work--things that just speak to me for some reason.  Like these.  Georgio de Chirico, who I have never heard of until yesterday, is the artist behind these unusual works. Born in Greece, studying in Athens, Florence and Munich, he was influenced by Nietzsche's philosophy early on.  While living in Paris, he befriended the French poet Guillaume Apollinaire, introducing to him Picasso, Gertrude Stein and the like, all responsible for altering his views on language and its rhythm.  Applying this new philosophy to his art, his works became dreamlike, often troubling and always mysterious.  Unlike the pictures I posted a few days ago that I would want to surround myself with, these I can love from afar.  


Starting February 13 and running until May 24, 2009, the Musée d'art moderne de la Ville de Paris is holding an exhibit showcasing 150 of his works.  A small venue, this museum holds over 8000 works from the 20th century.  After being overwhelmed by the 'big guys', you know, the Louvre and d'Orsay, you can spend an afternoon here grazing far away from the rest of the herd.  

Additional information:  
11, avenue du Président Wilson, 75116
Métro:  Alma-Marceau

1 comment:

Taylor said...

oooh Wow, the last one is definitely creepy but very cool! I don't think I've heard of him - thanks for enlightening me :D