Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Maille oh Maille

I would consider myself an above average cook. Many are the times I have thrown together dinner parties similar to this photo and was able to pull it off well enough so that my friends always took me up on subsequent invitations. The food, wine selections/beers in the cooler and assembled guests made for some wonderful evenings. Generally, I would decide to do something like this at about ten in the morning on a Saturday and people would start arriving at my door by dinner time. Simple recipes with great ingredients were the key to pulling things together that quickly. Today, I discovered some new "key ingredients" that would have made my recipes so much better.

I am an absolute fan of Maille mustard. Maille has been around since 1757 here in Paris which would take it all the way back to pre-revolutionary times. Their shop at Madeleine is a resident and tourist hot spot with all sorts of goodies to take home whether it be in a shopping cart or suitcase. Their mustard is like nothing else....I have been known to take a spoon and eat it right out of the jar. It took me a few tries to get the right amount as it has a kick to it that probably damaged some brain cells but there was that whole pleasure/pain thing going on that made it worth it. Plus, the creaminess.

Yesterday, I came home with their new flavors for summer. Six little sample size jars of ways to enjoy Maille in dips, dressings and recipes that need to be in everyone's cupboard. Parmesan and Basil, Dried Apricot and Curry, Sun-dried Tomato and Pimento, Pesto and Arugula and my personal favorite, Fig and Coriander. I ask you, what is not to love about these flavors? There was even a Lavender and Fennel combo not included in the sampler that I have to go back and get once these get used up. The possibilities are endless.

Here's a start:

Simple French Vinaigrette

2 Tbsp red wine vineger
6 Tbsp olive oil
1/2 tsp Maille mustard
salt
pepper

dissolve salt to taste in red wine vinegar.
add mustard
add olive oil
whisk
add pepper to taste

It comes out perfect every time!

photo credit: youaremyfav

1 comment:

Taylor said...

I eat Maille out of the jar, too. Like mother like daughter! xoxo