Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Derniere Démarque

Yesterday, I thought I'd make my way to Galaries Lafayette, the grand dame of department stores here in Paris. Think Marshall Field's on State street in Chicago...a big, beautiful old building stretching not one, but two city blocks that is overwhelming on a regular shopping day. Add the fact that it was "derniere démarque" or last markdowns on the bi-annual soldes or sales taking place here and complete bedlam ensued. Tired, hot tourists whose eyes glazed over several hours earlier while they were in the Louvre with all the art overload where now on sale overload. Husbands and children were falling limp from not wanting to do one more thing other than sit. Women fighting, fighting over a Fendi dress on sale as to who grabbed it first....it was a great deal but the fighting!?!

I started out with high hopes experiencing little excited bubbles going on inside thinking the ultimate purchase was waiting for me.....

And then I came across the cat fighting and scratching and people going into mini tantrums from over-exhaustion of just being in Paris on a hot day and my happy bubbles became a little bit bubblier....

until I finally reached the shoe department on the lower level that can be heaven but yesterday was hell and well, the bubbles started moving at a frenetic pace....

which prompted me and a friend to reconsider what exactly our happy bubbles should look like and we came up with this....

The champagne bar, for those of you interested is on the 1st floor (second for us Americans). Everyone there had found their perfectly paced happy bubbles once again!

No comments: