Wednesday, April 8, 2009

Galvani House

One of the things I love about Paris is the juxtaposition of old and new in everything--clothing, cultural events, food and in this case architecture.  Not my personal choice of how I would go about reworking a space yet I think it is genius.   When you are revamping historical buildings in Paris as this project was doing, there are some stringent guidelines to be followed.  

Named the Galvani House, this is a reworking of space that has an old building in the background which  was to be included in the design.  The owner and the city requested that the historical building not be obstructed from view of the street, only a street level and one additional floor were allowed and Parisian basin rock had to be the façade.  If you have been in the lower level of the Louvre, having entered through the Tuilleries, you know what I am talking about.  It is a soft beige, somewhat fossilized stone that has a cool (to the touch), smooth surface.   Aside from that, have at it.  

The rear of the addition. 


Same view at night in all it's lit up glory.


I personally can think of nothing better than being able to curl up in that chair, next to that tree with a glass of wine and a good book.


LOVE the stairs although feel they would be a bit problematic after too much wine.  I would easily do harm to myself one way or another on those. 

Source:  archdaily.com 

No comments: