Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Passion for Wine: Gann Family Cellars


"Wine is bottled poetry"
-Robert Louis Stevenson-

The other day, I revealed one of my passions, music.  Can't be without it.  Today I reveal another truth about myself--wine, can't be without it!!  Well, it isn't with me as often as my ipod is but, come dinner time (or lunch hour if so inclined) a great glass of wine is right there with me, celebrating--well, just celebrating the fact that it's time to pour a glass.  

I have come full circle in my taste and knowledge of wine.  Starting off very young and sweet, I drank white zinfandel back in my 20's.  Everyone was so I can't be too embarrassed.  Moving into my 30's, a buttery Chardonnay was the call of the day.  It still can be on a warm day, nicely chilled.  Now in my, ahem, 40's I can't get enough of reds.  It's as if I am a kid in a candy store and can't make up my mind--do I want the Pinot or Barolo?  Old world, new world?  Such dilemmas but oh, so much fun!


Recently, thanks to very generous friends and lovers of wine themselves, I was introduced to Gann Zinfandel and can't get enough of it.  Made by a small, family owned winery in Healdsburg, California, Gann Cellars is a dream in the making.  The story of Gretchen and Michael Gann reads like soul mates coming together and asking all the "what if" questions and then making it all come true.  Their Zinfandel is pure pleasure.  I am not a wine writer but would tell you that it subtly fruit forward with blackberry and spices and is velvety smooth if that helps.  Honestly, as I write this I wish I had a glass. Have to make the big, old sad face :-((

So, you must go forth and find yourself a bottle.  If you are truly generous, which I am sure that you are, you will find someone to share this fabulous experience with.  If no one is around, you can always count on me!

Additional information:  Gann Wine Shop

 

4 comments:

Phivos Nicolaides said...

In my country we say :Drink wine for long life!

Kim said...

If that's the case, then I have drank enough to keep me going for a VERY long time ;-))

Phivos Nicolaides said...

Yes, Kim, keep drinking wine, for a very long time, but never get drunk. O.K ?

Kim said...

Not to worry....I savour what I drink!!